Thursday 10 September 2009

The Pursuit of Happiness

I love bad blogs. The more inane and the more obscure, the more I like them. To me, bad blogs are the whole point of the Internet– a platform for the left of centre, a voice for the far right, a soapbox for the underdog and a visual megaphone for the otherwise marginalised.

But I love good blogs too. The ones that have something true to say. The ones that tickle all my fancies simultaneously. The ones that I thank all the computer nerds for inventing RSS for. Tap dancing at the top of that list for me is Maira Kalman's And the Pursuit of Happiness, which she updates on the last Friday of each month and which I look forward to with Ghostbuster's anticipation.

If you have the inclination, there's an interview with Ms Kalman over at The Bygone Bureau and a talk she gave at TED over here.


Well, that's it for today's post. Thanks for making the effort to come and share some time with me in the Land of Meg. I hope you found something to take away with you – you over there at your computer being alive.

4 comments:

Alexi said...

Me too, me too, me too! I just love Maira Kalman.

eddy carroll said...

Me too me too me too me too




ahhhhh blogalogalong...
XXXXx

Leigh @ Toasted said...

heh. heh. I'm alive and i laugh at good posts like this one. I think Maira is a massive creative inspiration - whimsical with a big focussed intellect.

Feronia said...

Love that description, Meg. Over here at my computer being alive! A couple of people I've met have suggested that blogging is a bit frivolous, a bit of a hobby, a bit of a nonsense. *They so don't get it!* :)