Wednesday 29 October 2008

A Toast

The other morning PJ and I came into the living room to see Z drawing a treasure map with permanent markers. The paper was too thin and his islands and palm trees are now inscribed on our floor.

This morning when we woke and heard Z making noise outside our door, we were quick to call out to see what he was doing. He asked us to close our eyes and the next moment he burst in with breakfast in bed for us. It was the first time he had done this. We applauded while we ate.

It has been a week of competent firsts for Z. Yesterday he yelled to me, "Look what the bunny rabbits did!" I thought he meant the chooks and had his words muddled up. I went over to see what he was talking about. A few days ago I had taught him to tie his shoelaces the way I first learnt: you make two looped bunny rabbit ears then cross them. He'd been practicing and had tied them by himself.

I once read that kids grow faster in springtime and I visualised it in stop motion animation. I never for one minute imagined that you could see it right before your eyes.

No comments: