Sunday 3 August 2008

Sydney Siding

We flew up early this morning to spend some time with PJ's family, as his grandmother died. Tomorrow is her funeral. I wasn't going to come but PJ's folks insisted, and very generously paid for my ticket.

What I enjoyed most about the day was talking to everybody, not just catching up, and that it wasn't Christmas, which is the only other time we come up here.

Christmastime seems to be so stressful for families, and it means nothing to me, but today I liked what we celebrated - a whole life lived and then concluded.

I can't remember what movie it was, just that it had Nicholas Cage in it. He was standing at a tombstone looking at the birth and death dates engraved, and the line between them.

"There's a whole life in that dash," he said.

No comments: