Tuesday 10 June 2008

On Nervousness


I started my new contract today and felt nervous all morning. There are so many names and job roles and faces and seating arrangements and procedures and systems and passwords to remember.

But even if there weren't, I know I would still be feeling like this.

I have been here before - day one of a new job and feeling confident I can do the work but unsure how I am going to do it. This has to be hard, I know that. This has to be challenging and this has to be unfamiliar. I know that that's the only way I'm going to improve my skills and learn new things. But it's also human nature, well, it's in my nature, to want to make make the difficult things more easy. And to feel nervous that I won't be able to do that. Even though I'm glad that they're so hard.

No comments: