Saturday 7 June 2008

Motion Sickness

I am about to begin a month-long contract. Usually I work on projects for a shorter time - a week at most - editing or writing content. I am looking forward to immersing myself in the work, but also have reservations.

One of the habits I have happily unlearnt during my time living away from the city is scheduling. Working full-time doesn't just mean that your job takes up the most productive hours of your day, it also ensures the commodification of the rest of your hours, and the need to plan your unplanned time.

I don't want to live like that. I don't want to be busy or managed or pencilled into appointment books. I don't want my business = my busyness. I don't want 24/7 scheduling or accountability. I don't want quality time or me time. I don't want to have it all.

I just want dead air time - the silence that I used to avoid.

I mean really, the only timetable we need to live by is the seasons.

No comments: