Monday 2 June 2008

Home

Today my choices feel inspired.

As I walked in the early morning's mist through the bush, I listened to a podcast interview with John Paskowitz, one of the nine Paskowitz siblings who grew up with their parents in a camper van in the US. All the kids were home schooled, they weren't allowed to eat sugar or salt, and spent the majority of their time surfing. Now they are all grown up and are the subject of a documentary called Surfwise.

On the movie's website it says:
Together, they lived a life that would be unfathomable to most, but enviable to anyone who ever relinquished their dreams to a straight job. The Paskowitz Family proved that America may be running out of frontiers, but it hasn’t run out of frontiersmen.
Being anchored by a mortgage is a frustrating pastime. I may not be a frontierswoman discovering new terrains, but at least I get to practice my happiness every day in the land that's known as Meg.

No comments: