Sunday 15 June 2008

From Z to A

Every Sunday morning at 9am, PJ and I head out to pick up Z from his mum's, 10 minutes away. In the beginning it was awkward for me - driving to the house that PJ built, and built another life in, in a world that did not yet have me in it. But as time goes on these discomforts ease, as we all come to learn.

I really like Z's mum. We give each other birthday presents and on Mother's Day, I make a special effort to give her a gift to honour her role

I remember one of the first times we met, I had the strong feeling of wanting to ask her 1000 questions, to really get to know her, but I had a stronger feeling that this would never happen, that she and I will always be in each other's lives, though never as confidantes.

Today's post is to give voice to the awkwardness of relationships, between the present and what's present in the past. To the difference between being friends and friendly. To the wonder of human encounters, to all that is complex and smooth.

No comments: