Sunday 1 June 2008

Love = Space


This morning my loved ones left me. 

They jumped into a canoe and drifted away as I stood on the shore; PJ, Z and a friend of Z's. The adult in the middle, the boys at either end with the paddles.

There was no room for me, and I didn't want to go. But still I had the feeling of being left, while they headed out into the unknown.

We received an email yesterday from the principal of Z's school, a just and kind man. He said Z had stolen a butter knife from the kitchen and had threatened some of the other kids, and when he was asked about it, he had lied and said he didn't know where the knife was.

Both these stories are about letting go, about learning how to relinquish unnecessary anxieties, how to be OK with loved ones going out into the world over which I have no control, trusting that I have done my best as a person and a parent.

As John Cage said, "Love = space around loved one."

1 comment:

tealotus77 said...

Meg. This short entry brought me peace today.

You are profoundly beautiful.
xx
tricia